3 medium eggs (160g)
100g self raising flour
1. Heat your oven to 200°C / 180C fan / Gas 6.
2. Use a little melted butter to grease a 34cm x 23cm swiss roll tin Line with greaseproof on the bottom only. Sprinkle over some sugar.
3. You'll now need to whisk the mixture until it turns to a thick foam.
You'll need to warm the mixture first - put the eggs and sugar into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water - whisk for about 3 minutes only.
Take off the heat and continue to beat for about another 7 minutes until the mixture has trebled in bulk, very pale and thick enough to hold a trail when the beaters are lifted - "Ribbon stage".
4. Sift the flour and add to the mixture a third at a time, fold in gently, keeping in as much air as you can.
5. Spread the mixture along the prepared swiss roll tin and bake for 7-10 minutes until golden and slightly shrunk from the sides of the tin.
6. Leave the sponge to cool slightly in the tin for about 5 minutes, then transfer the cake onto a clean tea-towel, sprinkle some sugar over the cake and cover with another sheet of greaseproof paper.
7. Roll while still warm and leave to cool
8. Unroll to put the filling in and roll back up.