This mixture gives a good, firm and well flavoured cake suitable for covering with sugarpaste.
250g Unsalted butter or hard block margarine (not spreadable)
250g Eggs (weigh without the shells)
250g Self raising flour
Milk - about a tablespoon.
Preheat the oven. Make sure the butter/marg is soft.
Cream the butter together with the sugar until pale and fluffy - should take about five minutes using a wooden spoon.
Add eggs in a thin stream while beating. Beat for another few minutes.
Fold the flour into the cake mixture gently using a knife. Add enough milk to get a ‘dropping consistency’.
Spoon into a lined 8" inch tin (appox 3" high).
Bake in a preheated oven at 175C / 155C fan for 1 hr 10 mins - poke a clean knife into the cake to check that it's cooked - it should come out clean, if not then put the cake back in for another 10 minutes and re-check.
Sandwich with jam and buttercream.
Nothing magical about Pound Cake - it's just 'a pound of this and a pound of that.…'
Weigh the eggs and use the same weight of butter, sugar & flour.
Medium hens eggs weigh around 2 oz (55g each) but can vary a lot.
Duck eggs can weigh much more.
Q. Why has my cake has sunk in the middle?
1. It’s not cooked all the way through - either the oven door has been opened before the cake has set or the oven wasn’t preheated
2. There's too much raising agent
Q. Why is my cake flat and heavy ?
1. The mixture wasn't beaten for long enough
2. There's not enough raising agent
3. The self-raising flour may have been stored for too long
4. The oven wasn’t pre-heated to the correct temperature
5. You’ve used plain flour
6. The oven isn’t hot enough - get an oven thermometer
Q. Why is my cake only about an inch high ?
Main reason is that too big a tin has been used - the above recipe is for an eight inch tin - you'll need to increase the amounts if you're using a larger tin.
Q. Why is my cake burnt ?
1. Your oven is too hot, invest in an oven thermometer to check it
2. You had too much wine and forgot about it
Q. I've tried all of the above and it's still rubbish
Sorry, can't help - works for me every time. Perhaps you were in a bad mood when making it or didn't follow the recipe?