4 eggs (200g)
120g plain flour
1. Preheat oven to 180C or 160 fan or Gas 4
2. Use a little butter to grease two 20cm sandwich tins or one 20cm cake tin. Dust them lightly inside with flour.
3. You'll now need to whisk the mixture until it turns to a thick foam.
You'll need to warm the mixture first - put the eggs and sugar into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water - whisk for about 3 minutes only.
Take off the heat and continue to beat for about another 7 minutes until the mixture has trebled in bulk, very pale and thick enough to hold a trail when the beaters are lifted - "Ribbon stage".
4. Sift the flour and add to the mixture a third at a time, fold in gently, keeping in as much air as you can.
5. Divide the mixture between the prepared sandwich tins and bake for 20 minutes (sandwich tins) or 30 minutes (cake tin) until golden and slightly shrunk from the sides of the tin.
6. Leave the sponges to cool slightly in the tins for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Filling: 125g double cream & 2 tsp icing sugar - whisk to soft peak stage, decorate with sprinkle of icing sugar and fresh fruit.