225g/8oz self raising flour
85g/3oz cocoa powder
3 (150g) eggs
250ml/9fl oz milk
125ml/4½fl oz vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp bicarb
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 3-4.
2. Grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins.
3. Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder in a bowl and give a quick stir.
4. Mix the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla (if used) and bicarb and give a quick stir.
5. Pour the liquid mix into the flour mix and mix well
6. Divide the mixture between the two tins
7. Bake for 35 mins - the cakes should be firm to the touch, if not then give another 5 mins and recheck.
8. Press the tops of the cakes gently to flatten
9. Allow to cool in the tins
200ml double cream
200g dark chocolate
1 tbsp sugar
Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it just starts to boil - take off the heat and mix in the chocolate and sugar.
Leave for a few minutes for the chocolate to melt, then stir until the mixture becomes smooth and glossy.
Don't worry if it looks lumpy or has loads of oil on the surface - just mix and it'll all come together.
Leave until cool and thick enough to cover the cake with.